Gallery

 Every Story has a Beginning and this is Ours…

 
 

In 1956 two tent revivals were held in the Edinburgh Community. The first with Rev. Bowling and

the second with Rev. Gentry. The location of the tent was in a vacant lot close to the area where

the church is now located. Many people gave their hearts to the Lord in this revival and decided

they wanted a permanent place to worship. Several people were from Kentucky and were

familiar with the Separate Baptist Doctrine, hence the Edinburgh Separate Baptist Church.

On September 16, 1956 the Edinburgh Separate Baptist Church was organized in a small

rented building on SR 252 in Edinburgh. The church started with 44 members. Property was

purchased in October 1956 thru numerous donations made by the community and church

members; the location was 905 South Main St. and a permanent building was started.

The first service was held in the new building on August 6, 1957. The first sermon was preached

on Saturday August 10, 1957 by Bro. William England. The sanctuary, still used today, seats

about 200.

 

The growth of the church indicated the need for Deacons, so on July 25, 1958 the first Deacons

were ordained and they were:

Bro. Ray Burton

Bro. Hubert Hadley

Bro. Willard Hadley

Bro. Roy McGaha

Bro. William England was ordained as a minister on Nov 1, 1958 and became the first pastor.

 

The church continued to grow and in 1959 four Sunday School rooms were added, and in 1962

stone was added to the church’s exterior. The church continued to grow and in 1971 more

Sunday school rooms were added.

In the fall of 1982, a fellowship hall was constructed with a baptistry and an apartment for

visiting evangelists.

In 1992 the church appointed a building committee to study the feasibility of adding a new entry

and other improvements to the church. After careful study of numerous proposals, the building

committee employed Paden Engineering to create an architectural design to the committee’s.

specifications.

In 1993 stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ were added to the sanctuary.

In March 1994 construction began to enlarge the front entrance and add three new class rooms,

handicap restrooms, pastors office, and PA control room.
 
In 2014 a remodel of the sanctuary was undertaken with drywall replacing the paneling, new lighting on stage and off,
ceiling renovations, new chairs to replace our pews, and sound room upgrades.

 

 
CHARTER MEMBERS
(year of passing)

 

1. Lucy Cain (1961)

2. Minnie Streeval(1965)

3. Sally Harmon (1968)

4. Jessee Harmon (1972)

5. Gilbert Cox (1980)

6. Rev. Willard Hadley (1980)

7. Bertie Cox (1985)

8. Myra Cowan (1994)

9. Lillie McGaha (1995)

10. Opal Bernard (1996)

11. Maggie Curry (1999)

12. Ray Burton (1999)

13. Marybelle Burton (2005)

14. Dorinda Hadley (2006)

15. Hubert Hadley (2010)

16. Della Rhodes (2012)

 

 
Former Pastors  
 IMG_8220
 
 
 
 
 
William England (1956 to September 1963, September 1965 to September 1971,September 1973 to September 1976)
 IMG_8223
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sammy Freeman (September 1963 to September 1965)
 IMG_8224
 
 
 
 
 
 
Homer Whited (September 1971 to 1973)
 IMG_8225
 
 
 
 
 
 
Clifton Cowan (September 1976 to September 1980)
 IMG_8228
 
 
 
 
 
 
David Freeman (September 1980 to June 1984)
 IMG_8232
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mike Whited (June 1984 to September 1991, May 2006 to September 2007)
 IMG_8235
 
 
 
 
 
 
Huber Hadley (Assistant Pastor October 1990 to September 1991)
 IMG_8233
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mark Polston (September 1991 to September 2002)
 IMG_8236
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bill Noble (September 2002 to May 2006)
GuyHardin
 
 
 
 
Guy Hardin (September 2007 to present)